The Third Tithe!
Our modern day tithe teachers are leaving an indelible impression in the minds of their followers that the ancient Jews tithed only 10% of their gross income and demand that Christians must also tithe 10% of their gross income to their local Churches.
However, to make such an assumption is totally false and contrary to the scriptures.
There were multiple tithes prescribed in the Mosaic law contrary to popular opinion. Let us focus on the 3rd tithe in this article.
Definition of the 3rd tithe:
After the Sabbatical year, on every third and sixth year the farm owning Israelites must keep the increase of their produce within their gates and distribute it to the Levites, the widows, the poor and the strangers.
The 3rd tithe is also known as:
The Charity tithe / Tithe for the poor / Welfare tithe
Some of the distinct things about the 3rd tithe were, little to no traveling and transportation involved and this is the only tithe for which God promises to bless the works of the giver. No promises were given for the givers of the 1st and 2nd tithes in the Mosaic law. Also after paying the 3rd tithe the tithers were required to offer a specific declaration and a prayer as prescribed in Deuteronomy 26:13-15. There are no instructions in the Mosaic law to offer any specific prayer after paying the 1st or 2nd tithes.
Proof from the law of Moses (Scriptures about the 3rd tithe):
“At the end of every third year you shall bring out all the tithe of your produce in that year, and shall deposit it in your town.”
“The Levite, because he has no portion or inheritance among you, and the alien, the orphan and the widow who are in your town, shall come and eat and be satisfied, in order that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.”
Deuteronomy 26:12 – 15
“When you have finished paying all the tithe of your increase in the third year, the year of tithing, then you shall give it to the Levite, to the stranger, to the orphan and to the widow, that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied.”
Questions and Answers about the third tithe:
1. What was tithable as the third tithe?
* One tenth of the increase in the produce. Money (Shekel) is not mentioned and the cattle are not mentioned either.
2. Who were the recipients?
* The Levites, the widows, the poor and the strangers (aliens) were the recipients and the final owners of this tithe.
3. Where should they bring the tithes?
* Within their gates and within the boundaries of their town.
4. What was the purpose?
* In order that the Lord God of Israel may bless you in all the work of your hand which you do.
5. How often it should be paid?
* Every third year, that was on the 3rd and 6th year from the Sabbatical year.
6. Was it redeemable?
* No, it could not be redeemed. It must be given out and no redemption option was specified in the Mosiac law. The third tithe must not be converted into money.
7. When it was paid?
* At the END of the 3rd year.
8. Were livestock involved?
* No, animals were not part of the 3rd tithe.
9. What was the difference between the third tithe and the other two tithes?